Hosting Workshops

Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Design

Typography excercise by hand
Design is in so much of what I do.  Cards, formatting, DP, websites. Last night I was really quite out of my comfort zone  with trying out another new venture. A nightclass! It is in Graphic Design but with handmade elements being the key. I had hmmed and heyed about this class, and I had thought no its not for me, and then on FB it appeared as a posponed start...well it was a sign. Just you know that feeling that you are meant to try it. So along I went with a few scraped up pencils, and not much drawing skills since O' levels. A lot of my classmates were right into their drawing and I realised how much I now depend on my computer. Doing so much DP I do it all the time, but have become more and more frustrated by not being able to create unique graphics. Hence the course.

So I didn't really use my pencil like I would have liked to, but I did feel inspired. I loved using the lightbox and tracing all my letters. Jeffrey said what I produced as a Typography excercise was like an early primary effort. And that made me laugh, because it can be looked on like that. But that doesn't bother me. Jono has a fine way of jogging you into thinking and he made me think of the inner shape of the letter..  and  mine was D as you can see. D for me and D for design. The letters are not all finished because they are being designed, and the colour is expressing my need for colour. The letters are very similar in both words, but there is no A in design. A is the start of the alphabet and is the beginning.

I have taken on another new challenge this year...life experiences and pushing yourself a little further is what its all about.So I must break out that pencil a little more, but I know I am scared to, but I am going to try :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment